Sunday, December 27, 2009

Best of 2009: CDs


So what are your favorite CDs of 2009?

I'm glad you asked. Thanks! Nobody ever asks my opinion about nothin'. Pisses me off.

I'm not a critic and I don't have much money, so I don't buy many CDs. But I can hear stuff on the internet.

Yeah, yeah. What are the fuckin' CDs?

Okay. Geez.

Number 1: Hospice by the Antlers.

From age 10 to 20, my mother was very ill and in and out of hospitals. And I ended up thinking, where are the songs for us. I mean, so much of popular music is for that small percentage of people who are happy and normal. So when I heard Hospice it was a huge relief for me. It's also stunning musically as well as lyrically, and I love the honesty of it.

Number 2: Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective.

Pure pop music for now people, with a conscience and a heart to boot.

Number 3: Dark Was The Night, various artists.

Mainly for disc one. Many beautiful moments by artists who seem like nice people.

Number 4: Album by Girls.

I even saw them at the Doug Fir here in Portland, Oregon.

Number 5: A Friend of a Friend by the Dave Rawlings Machine.

I always loved Dave Rawlings' playing and singing, but this was better than I could have ever expected. More Old Crow Medicine Show than Gillian Welch (with some Red Clay Ramblers thrown in), this is amazing.

Okay, I'm finished.

Wait up, farmboy. Where's the other 5?

Okay, well...

6. Oh My God Charlie Darwin by the Low Anthem

7. Around the Well by Iron and Wine.

8. Blood Bank by Bon Iver

9. Manners by Passion Pit

10. The List by Rosanne Cash

Okay. Satisfied?

I'm sure you'll be posting the ones you've forgotten tomorrow.

I'm sure.






No comments:

Post a Comment