Wednesday, April 18, 2018

your face again


ain't no voice
calling me on the phone
ordering me around
to find my way back home
and so on home I'd go
obeying like a dog
tail between my legs
breath smelling of alcohol
but this time it's different
this time I'm up for a fight
I think tonight
I'm gonna turn left
where I always turn right
and I'll know then
that I'm never gonna
see your face again

in the photos we stand
barely past eighteen
you in that spring dress
me in my farmer jeans
and when I asked you
for your unwedded hand
I didn't realize
I could never be the man
the man you wanted
who would run around your course
down at the racetrack
try to train me like a horse
but that was then
and I'm never gonna
see your face again

ain't no memory
strong enough to stay
I'm gonna gather them up
and throw them all away
throw them in the dumpster
throw them in the trash
throw them where you throw
useless visions of the past
I've got an empty canvas
a world full of paint
and I'm gonna look for
exactly what you ain't
it's at an end
and I'm never gonna
see your face again


No comments:

Post a Comment