Monday, September 11, 2017

should've


I should've been born
white, rich and free
from any conscience
inside me
instead I'm guilty as can be
for crimes I didn't do
I should've been born
tall and thin
not this so-called body
I'm imprisoned in
too much fat
but too thin-skinned
I should've been born you

you should've liked
the songs I wrote
you should've heard
the words I spoke
another drink 
another smoke
I'm just a joke to you
you should've heard
the words I said
and not have ignored
them instead
of pretending
you were a friend
your dishonesty's poking through

we should've been
the best of friends
we should have let
each other in
now here I am
abandoned
by one I used to trust
I try to say
goodbye to you
but words don't come
no sound rings true
and there's nothing
I can do
but witness memories
turn to rust

I should've been
the one you wanted
now I live
in a life that's haunted
by your goddamn memory
I can't explain
I search in vain
I need to use my brain
I must be free
I must be free
I must be free


No comments:

Post a Comment