Sunday, September 17, 2017

storytelling/music #3


Intro

musical background and (mis)education

  • writing songs
  • teaching brother
  • school chorus
Body 

what this did was make me in charge of my own education. 
  • library
  • radio
  • radio announcers
by my late teens, I had a self-identity as a songwriter, hard-won by perseverance and stubbornness. Reading a library copy of Guitar Player Magazine, I found a small item about a songwriting competition at the Kerrville Folk Festival in the hill country of Texas.
  • entering competition
  • losing competition
  • making it one off my life's missions
  • year after year of losing
I went from being young to nearly middle aged in 1992, when I entered the Columbia River Folk Music Festival.
  • competing and winning
  • chosen by festival producer
  • being booked for Kerrville
Preparing for appearance and performing
  • knowing everything by heart
  • bee charging
  • realizing the songs' non-placement in contests
  • the zone, of sorts
Conclusion
  • being paid, hotel, flight, tickets for forever
  • I'll never learn what winning is like. I did learn, however, about the luxury of air-conditioning in one of Kerrville's finest hotels. I set the temperature at 60 degrees and if I hadn't fallen asleep first, victorious and vindicated.


No comments:

Post a Comment