Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I gotta find something like that in me


So, man, did I tell you that I actually braved the mean streets of downtown Portland and went to a concert this past weekend?

Really? You may have mentioned it, as I recall, unless I've gotten it mixed up with something else. Who did you go to see, farmboy? What venue was it?

I went to see this dude that goes by the moniker Father John Misty. It's hard to describe what he does. It's lush and cynical and oddly hopeful and grateful at times. He's a great fuckin' singer, I'll tell you that. It was at the Crystal Ballroom, which is not a concert hall. It's like a giant high school gymnasium with a squishy floor. It can be fun because it's really pretty informal compared to other places.

In other words, no seats. It's standing only.

Well, there's some seats, but, yeah, you end up standing if you want to see even just a little of the band.

I liked this going out, for once. It's good for me to see performers, and it's good for me to see performers who aren't, you know, acoustic or folk. This Father John Misty guy, he's more of a rock guy. Even though I was talking with this one dude at the show, he was telling me that Father John Misty is the performing name of a certain Mister J. Tillman who used to be a folkie singer-songwriter type of performer.

What does the J. stand for?

Joshua.

I'm glad I got to see him because it was good to see somebody with energy. I mean, not that the folkies I see aren't good entertainers -- many of them are -- but this Father John Misty, he has energy, like rock 'n roll energy, entertainer energy. I gotta find something like that in me. It's gotta be there somewhere.

I'm sure it is.

I gotta keep looking, man, I gotta find it.


No comments:

Post a Comment