Friday, January 29, 2016

one farmboy (finished rough draft 1)


maybe it's me
maybe I'm unlucky
but it's plain to see
everyone is fucking
in this no-tell hotel
except for me
oh, how lonesome 
can one farmboy be

why did I leave
Tollerton, Alberta
in New York City
everyone is hurtin'
and I know damn well
that I'm the next in line
oh, how much trouble
can one farmboy find

          it's so damn sad
          it's so damn lonely
          it's too damn bad
          I'm the one and only
          man who's life 
          is overripe baloney
          compared to everybody else's

one night I met
this waitress down at MOMA
she loved me so rough
nearly slipped into a coma
then she grabbed my car keys
and my wallet too
oh dear Lord
what can one farmboy do

            these streets ain't proud

           they're overrun with strangers
           who talk too loud
           and their eyes are filled with danger
           it's a big damn crowd
           no reason I should stay here
           and continue all my bellyaching 

I can't stay
it's expensive in Manhattan
papa, start cooking
it's time to grill the fattened
calf and welcome 
your prodigal son back home
oh, no more
will one farmboy roam
look out folks
one farmboy's coming home


No comments:

Post a Comment