Tuesday, November 3, 2020

I used to be young (rewrite 1)

 

I used to be young/ I know you don't believe it/ it might be hard to conceive it/ but it's true/ I always had hope/ that tomorrow was coming/ there always was something/ fun to do/ but now those days have gone/ and I have quickly moved on/ to the winter of my years/ someday you'll be like me/ and all that you see/ will someday disappear/ you will not be here

I used to feel excitement/ but the joy of being alive/ vanished before my eyes/ and left me blue/ time went so fast/ all those years flew by/ in the single blink of an eye/ I never knew/ now take a look at me/ and all you will see/ are shades of gray in my beard/ someday you will be old/ days are short and nights are cold/ memories disappear/ you will not be here

(bridge) youth is wasted on the young/ I've heard that old cliche/ tears taste bitter on the tongue/ when it's almost time/ to go away

I used to be young/ a long, long time ago/ a time I used to know/ I was just like you/ you stand in my footsteps/ ignoring tomorrow/ time is only ours to borrow/ sad but true/ for me those days have passed/ and I am here at last/ with my last breath shifting gears/ someday you'll be like me/ and then, my friend, you'll see/ how quickly we all disappear/ you will not be here/ you will not be here


No comments:

Post a Comment