Sunday, July 4, 2021

party in the yard


I am riding on the city bus
it's the fourth of July
the sun has git no clouds today
the weather's warm and dry
everybody's taking it easy
nobody's working too hard
and that house that we're passing
there's a party in the yard

there's people by the barbeque
an ancient boom box playing tunes
a bunch of youngsters running
throwing water balloons
I imagine chicken and potato salad
and tortilla chips and beer
I life that I would love to live
if I wasn't stuck on here

it's hard to be alone on holidays
more than any other time
the rhythm's not in tempo
the lyrics never rhyme
I look out at the family
and envy what they've got
I ride the bus home
pretending what I'm not

happy fourth of July to everyone
as I stay home alone
listening to fireworks
drinking beer and getting stoned
so as you meet with every friend
every neighbor on your path
take some time to look around
and appreciate what you have



No comments:

Post a Comment