Friday, April 24, 2015

The spaghetti system of songwriting


How's the writing going, farmboy?

Pretty good. You know, I've been on a writing discipline for a few years now. And for a while that discipline has been writing everyday. I feel like I'm getting to know writing better, not only on the craft level but also on kind of a getting-out-of-my-own-way level.

You're talking about inspiration?

Yeah. Some people call it "the muse," but that sounds pretentious to me. All I know is instinct, which I've always had as a close collaborator. Which is among other close collaborators like my guitar and rhyme and melody and harmony…

You talk about them like they're other people, farmboy. 

That's what it feels like, man.

But, really, they're all you.

No, no, I don't think so, dude. It's all such a mystery to me. I don't know for sure where any of this comes from but there's a big spiritual element in it. But I don't know how to define it. I don't know if I want to describe it, you know? It's a feeling, it's what I fuckin' do.

And I am very, very thankful for that.

As you should be.

I am.

Have you been writing a lot?

A good amount. I've got songs I'm working on and I'm actively writing new stuff a lot so I can see if anything sticks. It's kind of like the spaghetti system of songwriting.

Spaghetti?

Yeah, man, you know how you test the spaghetti to see if it's done by throwing it on the wall to see if it sticks.

I've never heard of that, farmboy. Should I try it? Does it work?

You know, now that I  think about it, I've never done it.


No comments:

Post a Comment