Tuesday, March 14, 2023

the great American novel


I thought I would write
the great American novel
I have art within me
and it yearns to come out
for success I will beg
on my knees I would grovel
for sentences
that know what they're about

here are some words
on a computer screen
from my heart and soul
pain and joy deep within
every word is brilliant
if you know what I mean
and when I am finished
I will write them again

until I have
a story to tell
from what I have been through
from what I have known
every new chapter
has something to sell
from foreign adventure
to home sweet home

I'll be on the talk shows
plugging my book
it'll go to the top
of the New York Times
critics will give it
a long second look
and all of the glory
is going to be mine

so come all you authors
and listen to me
don't let petty jealousy
keep us apart
now I'm a best seller
for the whole world to see
in a place where commerce
is confused with true art


No comments:

Post a Comment