Monday, November 5, 2012

All I'm looking for is the truth


Been writing. Every fuckin' day. I think -- imagine songwriting as fishing -- I've got a couple nibbles. I kinda feel like the stuff I'm gonna be writing might be a little more complicated than most of my previous stuff.

Which is good, farmboy. Change is good.

Yeah, it is. 

All I can really do is follow where the writing takes me. I know it's a craft and all that, but there's so much subconscious involved.

Maybe using the subconscious is part of the craft, farmboy. Now, I'm no expert at this subject, but I would think that learning how to tap that subconscious is part of the songwriting process, the craft of songwriting.

Oh, it is. There's so much mystery in songwriting -- maybe it's in every art form.

I think it is.

So much I don't know, that maybe I can't know. Maybe that's why there's always so much emphasis on the craft -- you can kinda control the craft. All you gotta do is harness the...I'm not sure, man. Inspiration? I don't know, man. there's such a tendency to romanticize writing.

Which might be why you use the word "mystery" to describe it, farmboy.

Maybe. I mean, all I'm looking for is the truth, you know?

See? That will lead to inspiration, I'm sure.

I hope so, 'cause it's so fuckin' hard, man. It's a lot easier to be sentimental.



No comments:

Post a Comment