Thursday, August 21, 2014

All the important stuff


So I've had this idea for a long time. This is so strange…I normally, as I'm sure you've noticed, don't think about this folk music business too much except in terms of bitterness and failure…anyway, I had this idea…

Spit it out, farmboy.

There's this idea I had about making a CD of songs for different holidays. And the reason for it would be to get airplay on folk music radio.

That sounds good to me, farmboy. If it's…

…done right. Yeah, that by far is the most important thing. I don't want to write cute songs about Valentine's Day, you know? I want to write the best songs I can. And I think that there's enough, um, humanity…I don't know if that's the right word. I guess that what it is would be a way to explore human beings and their relationships and conflicts and humor and accomplishments and all that fuckin' stuff.

They're songs first. They just happen to be set around holidays.

Exactly! And I figure it will be just guitar/vocal, so I need to write really great songs.

Which you love to do…

Man, it's the best. It's amazing the numbers of songs it takes to get the ones you get excited about. But when it works, there ain't nothing like it.

Kind of like love, kind of like sex.

Yeah. And spirituality and instinct. All the important stuff.

And all that stuff always comes through loud and clear around holidays. That's when families get together, that's when people who would normally avoid each other have to get together. Holidays are when people who truly love each other are reunited, too. 

Anyway, that's where I'm at today. All I can do is write and see where that takes me, you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment