Friday, August 29, 2014

house in the hills


see over there
that house in the hills
there's money in that neighborhood
you take the 101
to the 405
past the east side
of west hollywood
it's where you live 
and who you know
you know that actor
on that TV show
I forget his name
but he killed himself
jumped off the Santa Monica pier
well, he once lived
in that house in the hills
before the tabloids crucified his career

see all those lights
that's the house on the hill
sometimes it's a miniature vegas
only a few minutes
to whatever you need
from the kodak to the pantages
sometimes it's up
sometimes it's down
it's a hot hot morning
in this company town
you know that actress
the one with the boobs
and the legs 
that go on forever 
you know she cracked up
now her bank account's 
as dry as the 
los angeles river

          to end up like us
          ain't it demeaning
          to look at that house
          through that window you're cleaning
          I always pictured myself
          attending those screenings
          with julia roberts
          or angelina jolie
          hanging on my arm

we'd be riding that limo
to my house on the hill
in the life I should be living
instead of cleaning the glass
in this high-rise hotel
yes I know that I should forgive them
nobody tells losers like us
what to do
when the dreams that you live for
refuse to come true
you know that movie
that won all those awards
the one with the happiest ending?
just remember the stars
in the house on the hill
make their living
by pretending

la la la la...


No comments:

Post a Comment