Friday, March 20, 2015

big-ass dreams (new version)


I used to dream
big-ass dream
biggest dreams
that you have ever seen
I would have made 
a brilliant millionaire
I had taste
knew what to choose
gold plated
BMWs
I was bon vivant
and debonair 

but then the hard times came
and cleared my kitchen shelves
where I once dreamed of riches
now I dream of something else

now I dream
my big-ass dreams
gourmet ice cream
instead of rice and beans
I dream of filling up
my shopping cart
fresh avocados
dave's killer bread
the crap I fill up on 
instead
is hardening my arteries
and clogging up my heart

but, oh, the dreams
the big-ass dreams
of grocery stores
food magazines
let me tell you 
all about my shopping list
real butter
turkey legs
bacon, grits 
and scrambled eggs
I think you heard my message
I hope you get the gist

of my dreams
my big-ass dreams
of fresh and ripe
sweet nectarines
all those cuisines that I've ignored
grass-fed beef
salad greens
nutritional-
type luxuries
all that healthy food
I can't afford

except in my dreams
my big-ass dreams...


No comments:

Post a Comment