Monday, March 18, 2013

These humans I share my life with


Today I talked with my old friend who I've known since kindergarten. It was good to talk with him. He's got unemployment problems and, well, we ended up talking about how we remember being children together and how life has, well, turned out not so great. Which I don't even want to admit but I confess that I've felt that way more than a few times lately. It's such a fuckin' shame, man. 'Cause I know that we're not the only two people who feel that way.

Does it feel good to have known somebody for that long, farmboy?

It does, yeah. It makes life less lonely. And I'm thankful for that because life can be so fuckin' lonesome sometimes, you know?

I'm glad you asked that, 'cause it's so fuckin' easy to go right past that and go on to my usual way of thinking.

Which is...?

Which is to go on my way putting out the fires immediately in my path just in time to deal with whatever new fires come up. And they always do.

That's what a lot of life is, farmboy. Sorry to have to tell you.

Oh, I already know that, man, believe me.

What I need to do is take just a little time to look around at these humans I share my life with while I put out fires and be thankful that I have friends. And some last your whole life, you know?

It's a wonderful thing, friendship.

Man. And I know what it's like to be lonely.


No comments:

Post a Comment