Tuesday, August 6, 2013

unemployment line, rewrite 1


this is what I do
this is how the day begins
I get up out of bed
and I go back in again
in time I make the coffee
wait for the mail to come
worry about the rent
feel like a bum
don't matter what I do
I'm always left behind  
don't matter where I go
it's the unemployment line


fill out applications
update the resume
ignore the rejections
but they just won't go away
climbing through the classifieds
crying through craigslist
think of opportunities
that just won't come
or that I've missed
tell myself that all good things
will come to me in time
but I know that I'm just lying
in the unemployment line

         patron saint of all lost causes
         I could use you now
         I need all the intervention
         heaven will allow

all those soul-sucking jobs
I'd be glad for one today
one with health insurance
and maybe halfway decent pay
but nobody can pay me back
for all the time I've lost
my disappearing confidence
has more than paid the cost
and I am paying dearly
for the economy’s decline
it's just another day
in the unemployment line
it's just another day...


No comments:

Post a Comment