Monday, August 26, 2013

wish I was here, first draft


I woke up this morning 
thinkin' ‘bout the night before
I daydream about my future 
all day at the company store
but when it comes to the present
what can I say?
I don't see it till it's gone away
I'm having a good time
wish I was here

I'm writing my memoirs 
as fast as I can
I’m hoping tomorrow 
comes off as I planned
I'm so torn between hope and memory
I don't see what’s in front of me
guess I’m having a good time
wish I was here

      gotta network, make connections 
for the jobs to come
      anything that means 
looking out for number one
      gotta go, gotta run, 
ain't got no time to speak
      I got to work to pay 
for what I spent last week

first I saw my therapist, 
we explored my childhood
then my financial planner who said
"boy, your future's no damn good
it says right here 
beyond a shadow of a doubt
you need a lot more cash 
in your bank account
oh, I'm having a time
wish I was here

      well, I'm telling you true, 
my sisters and bros,
      maybe I’m spiting my face 
by cutting off my nose
      but I'm beginning to think
it makes no sense
      some day I'll live in 
the present tense

when I finally arrive 
at St. Peter's gate
I'll have to say
"hey Pete -- man, you made a mistake
I can't be dead yet, 
no, not today
I’ll pencil you in for next week 
would that be okay?
hope I’m having a good time
I wish I was
having a good time
just because
having a real good time
wish I was here


No comments:

Post a Comment