Friday, April 18, 2014

The social contact gene


Hi, man. I'm at work, it's after quitting time, and I'm just killing time until 5 p.m.

What happens at 5 p.m., farmboy?

I'm going to see a friend I haven't seen in quite a while. We're gonna have coffee and talk about music, you know, life, all that kind of stuff. It'll be good to see him. I don't see enough of my friends.

It would be good for you, farmboy, if you were to see more of your friends. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I've noticed that you have a tendency to isolate yourself from people sometimes.

Sometimes? Well, that's a fuckin' understatement. I've isolated myself my entire lifetime...

And there are times you may still have to isolate yourself. But, with those exceptions, I don't think you need to isolate yourself so much.

Yeah, well...It's tough, you know. I'm sorta afraid of people. It's kinda sad. I don't trust people. I seem to require a lot of time alone.

And that's okay, farmboy. And it's good that you feel comfortable being alone. But I think it would be to your advantage if you were to be around people more often.

Yeah, I know. And it's true. Sometimes I get really fuckin' lonely. But I don't fuckin' know, man. It's like there's some part of my DNA that's wrong. I didn't get the social contact gene.

 But I'm working on it.

I'm glad. You deserve to be less lonely.

I hope I deserve that. I don't know what any of us deserves. Sometimes I think I'm just lucky to not be born in a third world country, or to be some kind of psychopath, or...I don't know. I fuckin' think way too much.

I think you should give yourself a break more often, farmboy. You really don't need to take the entire world on, you know.

Yeah, that's true. I'm getting a little better at it. I just can't help thinking sometimes.

I'm not saying that you should stop thinking. I'm just saying that you just need to give yourself a break. That's all. But I don't want to tell you how to think.

That's what you've been fuckin' doing, man.

I know. I'm sorry. 

That's okay, man. Basically, I agree with you. I need more of a social life outside work. Which is why I'm leaving right now too see my friend. Time to load up on coffee, man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment