Friday, February 24, 2017

Storytelling 2


farmboy is taking a storytelling class and is preparing his first story.

Outline 2

Introduction:

I was waiting for the ambulance, lying where I had fallen on the concrete and gravel, when it started raining. I thought, well, it just doesn't get worse than this. Little did I know.

-- going to emergency
-- falling twice
-- admitted into hospital
-- diagnosis and surgery
-- moved to physical rehab

"There are two ways I have of describing what my experience was like: surreal and time machine.

Middle 1: life in rehab

-- preconceptions about rehab
-- having own room, friends with instruments
-- changing places with real life/movie
-- but it was the staff...
-- insert personal info re: walls
-- how staff broke through walls
-- I like people. I need people.

Middle 2: mental breakdown

-- surgeon gives okay
-- try to stand, crying, flashback, therapists' reactions
-- the next two weeks, on deadline, misinformation
-- desperation, suicidal thoughts

Middle 3: leaving rehab

-- going to second rehab, brother's house
-- isolation and too much time to think
-- the novelty of loneliness
-- hanging out, down the street
-- wanting connection

Middle 4: recovery, or something like it

-- therapist 1
-- therapist 2
-- "not your friends"
-- "live your life"

Conclusion: a work-in-progress

-- living my life
-- emotional health work
-- other work
-- songwriting
-- Ireland
-- still a long way off, but the work continues
--still needing connection
-- standing outside rehab
-- going home, where, like it or not, there is life to be lived

No comments:

Post a Comment