Thursday, July 11, 2019

Art is your fate. Don't debate.


I tell ya man, it's hard. It's so fuckin' hard.

So the songwriting is giving you challenges, eh? Good. It's good for you to be challenged artistically. I mean, you are an artist, farmboy. Remember once you got a fortune in a fortune cookie that read "Art is your fate. Don't debate." That was meant for you.

Oh, I know. I just get impatient, that's all. But I like what you're saying, that it's good to be challenged. Maybe that's what I need, I don't know. But it's better than writing the same stuff over and over, you know, man?

I think that's true. You've got to keep things interesting. There needs to be change. Time moves forward. Perhaps think of some subjects -- or even single words and phrases -- that are different than what you've used before. Try different subjects or new ways of looking at life.

Well, this could be a real adventure. Which brings up the next question: What if I fail? What if I'm not up to the challenges?

You just continue to write every day. You show up and suit up.

t's like fuckin' PE.

It's like pretty much everything worth working towards.

(laughs) That's what I'm afraid of. More frustration.

And you'll get that. But you'll also reap the benefits. At some point you'll write something that catches your interest. And then you'll work on it and your subconscious willl work on it. And you'll work on it, too.

Yeah, I love when that happens. It's all a mystery, this songwriting stuff. I've been doing it most of my life and I feel like I still don't have a clue.

And you've written some very good songs, farmboy.

Thanks. I try.


No comments:

Post a Comment