Wednesday, July 24, 2019

I can't not write songs


Any luck with the songwriting, farmboy?

It's getting there. I just keep on writing. I've got one rewrite that shows promise, and one or two other things. It's such a fuckin' hard process, though. It's like playing the fuckin' lottery. It's like fishing. You keep throwing in your line, hoping that you'll eventually catch something. It's fuckin' frustrating, man.

The thing is, I'm not sure if any of this matters. Nobody hears these songs anyway. At this point I do it just because I really do love writing songs. It's what I do. I mean, I can't not write songs, you know?

To be honest, I would worry if you ever stopped writing, farmboy. It would feel like you were just giving up on life.

Which would be true, man.

When I was going through an unbelievably hard time earlier this year, I went for a few days without any desire to be musical. And it was horrible. It's very seldom happened to me, which I am extremely grateful for. But when it did...I didn't know what to fuckin' do, man. This music stuff isn't just what I do, it's who I am. There is no separation between myself and music. I've been very blessed that way.

It's true, you have.

I know. It's pretty amazing to have this thing inside you. It's music, but it's magic and it involves love. It's truly miraculous. 

So I know I'll just keep writing, and I know that there will be songs and they will fill me up like nothing else. That's just the way it is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment