Sunday, May 15, 2022

my cigarette days (rewrite 1)


I wish I still smoked
I wish I still drank
I wish I still had
money in the bank
you should have seen me
through the nicotine haze
I was quite something
in my cigarette days

I canvassed the avenue
late in the night
looking for something
to not turn out right
I started out common
and wound up amazed
life was adventure
in my cigarette days

          old age and broken dreams follow 
          wherever I go
          I thought I had endless tomorrows
          shows how much I know

you might think I'm crazy
you might think I'm brave
you might think I was born
to misbehave
but where others chose caution
I walked unafraid
I was the man
in my cigarette days

now I've grown old 
and my youth is all gone
and I see no star
for wishing upon
I could be unhappy
but I feel okay
tonight I just miss
my cigarette days


No comments:

Post a Comment