Thursday, July 1, 2010

I ain't never fuckin' satisfied


You know, I just don't know what I'm gonna do with myself.

How so, farmboy?

I'm never fuckin' satisfied, y'know. I ain't never fuckin' satisfied. There's an early Steve Earle song called that. "I Ain't Never Satisfied." Good song.

So tell me about that. You sound like you're really angry -- at yourself.

I am. 'Cause I really am never satisfied. Like, see, I saw that there's gonna be this big folk music festival in August, I think, and I got super bummed-out because I'm not playing in it. So I'm driving to the coffeehouse and I see some people walking somewhere so I start thinking "I bet they're having fun." And then I think, what the fuck, I'm going with my guitar to the coffeehouse where I'm going to see friends and play music. What the fuck. man! I am such a fuckin' asshole.

No you're not. If you were an asshole, you wouldn't have noticed it or questioned it.

Oh. (pauses) That's true, I guess.

But it still pisses me off that I'm always wanting somebody else's life -- not even real life, but what I'm projecting onto these strangers. Fuck. I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

I think I do. Are you stoned?

Me?

Never mind. In this case, farmboy, I think it's a really good thing that you're not satisfied. You have a right to live your own life.

Thanks. I'm glad you understand.

It's the anger at yourself that's not any good. Take a deep breath...

Again with the deep breaths...

,,,instead of immediately beating yourself up. Move on, farmboy.

Move on?

Yes. Instead of all the self-loathing and self-hatred.

I don't know if I can.

It might take some practice. It might be hard. But just try it, farmboy.

Um...let me think about this, okay?

Can we come back to this stuff?

Yeah.

Soon?

I said yeah.

Tomorrow, farmboy?

You got it, man.



No comments:

Post a Comment