Sunday, July 11, 2010

In the dark


(farmboy walks in the door)

Honey, I'm home!

(laughs) You're back! How was the housesitting?

It was air conditioned.

That's all?

Oh, man, that's enough. It was so fuckin' hot...

It reached 100 degrees!

Man! I was so fuckin' glad to have air conditioning. Plus there's Annie the dog and I just spent a lot of time sitting with her. What a beautiful dog. I did play the piano, but not much. Mostly I listened to podcasts -- some Ira Glass stuff -- and sat in the dark with Annie and thought.

It was good fun. But it's so fuckin' good to be back. What did you do?

Now, farmboy, this is about you. Remember?

Hey! You told me I could ask you questions but only one at a time. So that means I get to ask you a question: What the fuck did you do this fuckin' weekend?

Okay. Simple enough. I did some reading. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Interesting book. Have you read it?

No, but I keep meaning to.

It's good. Also, I listened to some music. I laid on the floor in the dark and listened to Miles Davis.

Cool. Were you high?

One question only, kiddo.

I guess I know the answer to that one then.

The answer is no.

Did you inhale at least?

Let's move on, farmboy. You like some Miles?

I'm so ignorant of jazz. I've heard just a little bit of Miles Davis. I have a couple of recordings of him,which I should listen to more. So you like jazz?

I'm like you, I just want music I like. I don't know contemporary jazz at all, but I like a lot of the older stuff.

Wow. I'm glad you told me that stuff. I always wondered what kind of music you like.

We can talk more about music any time. I listen to a lot more styles than jazz. I'd like to hear recommendations from you.

I didn't know other people listened to music in the dark. I love doing that. Most of the time when I'm listening to music in the light of day I end up closing my eyes. It's better for concentration. I think listening is an art all unto itself.

I agree.

Thanks for answering my question, man.

Thanks for asking.



No comments:

Post a Comment