Sunday, July 18, 2010

I want perfection now, damn it!


Man, you know, the music thing...I never wanted anything so badly. It's amazing to me. I would ask "What is this music stuff?" except I really kind of like the whole mystery thing. And I was born to it. I was born to this. Even if I never make a dime, I'm a pretty lucky guy. I've had a blessed life.

I'm glad you know that. I'm glad you don't take it for granted.

So, let's see, now that I've done that fuckin' highfalutin' musical philosophy stuff, what question can I ask you today?

I think we should stick to musical philosophy, farmboy.

Nah. I'm done tuckered out.

What if I ask you questions?

Oh, yeah, sure.

If you could sing like any singer, who would you sing like?

That's easy. Marvin Gaye.

Marvin Gaye?

Marvin Gaye. He could be smooth, he could be rough, he knew jazz, he knew standards. Dude fuckin' had it all.

Well, except for a dysfunctional father...

Yeah, well, I ain't talking about that. I'm talking about the voice, the phrasing. Dude had a God-given talent...

Like you.

I fuckin' wish, man.

In your own way, with the songwriting.

Okay, I'll accept that and I'll say thank you. But I'm not sure I deserve it. I got a ways to go.

It's that old process thing.
Pain in the fuckin' ass. I want perfection now, damn it!

Do you enjoy processes?

You mean, in general or the process of, say, writing.

In general.

I think once I'm in them and there's no way back, I can get an enjoyment of the process. It's the fuckin' waiting for something to happen that fuckin' pisses me off, y'know? It causes me a lot of anxiety. But once I'm going I'm good.

I glad to hear you say that. Because your in the middle of a big process right now.

Oh yeah? A process for what?

I can't tell you, but it's musical. And it's personal.

That's it?

Hey, I'm not a fortune teller. I'm an interviewer.

Then how do you know this stuff?

I just know, farmboy.



No comments:

Post a Comment