Saturday, May 10, 2014

dogs I have known


when I need a peaceful place
to feel safe at home
I close my eyes and remember
the dogs I have known

I stroke and stroke and stroke and stroke
and stroke and stroke their fur
you know, if dogs were cats
I'm pretty sure they would purr

I've known dogs who are smiling
with their wet tongues hanging out
I've known dogs who are geniuses
in the usage of their snouts

I've known dogs who like to snuggle
when the temperature is low
I've known dogs who jump on the bed
and sleep there by your toes

I've known dogs who have no idea
of their cuteness or their charm
I've known dogs who will protect you
from the hungry hands of harm

I had a dog named gordie
who was my trustworthy friend
I would give most anything
to see his face again

my good friends matt and nancy
have their sweet annie montana
you should see how great she looks
when she's wearing a bandanna

my fiddler friend chris kokesh
has a loving dog named chloe
I hope she likes Wisconsin
in the winters when it's snowy

I've known a dog named waffles
and two other dogs named sam
a handsome dog named romeo
who loved to lick the pan

I've known a dog named molly
I knew her daughter, too
and I'll never forget patches
who loved me when I felt blue

I had a dog named ginger
when I was just a kid
I'd like to say I'm sorry
for all that kid stuff that I did

oh, I have known some dachshunds
and some chihuahuas as well
but my favorite small dog of them all
is my sister's dog named belle

I'd like to apologize
to those whose names I have forgotten
if they were here, I'd serve them all
some bacon and steak au gratin

to all the dogs I have befriended
I dedicate to you this poem
to say thanks for your affection
to all the dogs I have known


No comments:

Post a Comment