Thursday, June 25, 2015

ghost town here


an angry sun beats down
on this dusty old town 
tired of dreams
that never come true
the children are gone
they had to move on
when you're seventeen
there ain't nothin' to do

          it's a ghost town here
          and let's make one thing clear
          working in fast food
          ain't no career
          someday soon
          you will disappear
          and I will be alone

you think I don't know
that you have to go
to find your own fortune 
and make your mistakes
you've been making your plans
and I understand
and I'm trying to not let you 
see how my heart aches

         but it's a ghost town here
         I know the future you fear
         bills and a family
         and convenience store beer
         a boy like you
         needs a new frontier
         and I am an old man

you go find your own path
remember to laugh
when you find love
never let it go
I want you to know
that this is your home
and you carry it with you
wherever you roam

          it's a ghost town here 
          the time's getting near
          when fathers like me
          learn to hold back their tears
          follow that voice   
          whispering in your ear
          I've taught you all I know
          now I must let you go...
    

No comments:

Post a Comment