Tuesday, June 23, 2015

key chain


I got a new key chain 
it was given to me
from a local non-profit 
that fights poverty
I stripped the keys
off the old key chain
I felt the guilt
rushing through my veins
it did its job so well
it never complained

so what could I do?
I couldn't throw it away
it gave me good service
it was more than okay
should I give it a gold watch?
should I put it in a drawer?
I just thought there should 
be something more
that what the future
has in store

I remembered all the miles
we'd seen together
thru wind and rain
and even snow
all kinds of ugly weather
me and my old key chain
I tell you, we had some fun
I can't believe 
its mission here is done
I felt like singing
"We've Only Just Begun"

but then I thought hey
I've been thinking all wrong
I'll just immortalize you
in your own folk song
I pulled out some paper
I pulled out a pen
and I composed this song
for my old old friend
who's been loyal and true
to the end

I worked on these verses
I polished them fine
I even selected 
some rhythm and rhyme
the melody soars
if you sing it in A
I took my old key chain
and said "I hope this is okay"
then I
tossed it away
what can I say?
I'm a fuckin' jerk
okay?
but the memory will live 
till my last earthly day
in my heart it will remain
my old key chain


No comments:

Post a Comment