Saturday, April 25, 2020

I'm all written out


Well, man, it's finally happened.

And what's that, farmboy?

There's no more for me to write. I'm all written out. I've written about damn near everything there is, or everything I care about. I guess all I can do is make a stiff drink and a toke and relax for the rest of my life. It's been good being a songwriter, but I'm all used up.

I don't believe that's true. You're still living, you're still breathing. You're still having experiences. There's still plenty to write about.

I don't see it. My mind is empty. There is no inspiration to be found. Is this what they call a writer's block?

You're the writer. What do you think?

I once went to a songwriting workshop with John Prine once, years ago. And I asked him about writer's block.

And what did John Prine say?

He said that he didn't believe in writer's block. He also told me later that I had good questions. I got his autograph.

So I guess I don't believe in writer's block either. Either that, or I don't take it as seriously as a lot of people do.

I think that's a good thing, farmboy.

Yeah, I do too. I don't want some damn writer's block pushing me around.

That's the spirit.

I hope so. I like writing. It's what I'm supposed to do. The last thing I need is some false belief like that writer's block shit.


No comments:

Post a Comment