Thursday, September 7, 2023

red-handed


I was caught red-handed,
taking from the collection plate
in a Sunday morning service
where I showed up ten minutes late
I was eleven years old
I was saving for a skateboard
for my teenage years
it was more than I could afford

I saw the money
right in front of me
I looked around
there was no one to see
I took my right hand
and grabbed it
I was thinking this might
become a habit

I thought I got off scot-free
but I was mistaken
I learned there were consequences for
the money that I had taken
the pastor saw me leaving church
he said "I've seen all you do
the time has come to repent
son, it's all up to you"

visions of hell entered my brain
guilt was all around me
everything bad I ever did
all came back to surround me
I told myself to settle down
but it didn't do any good
I was sure I was condemned
for not doing what I should

I took the money from my pocket
I said "I don't want it now
I only want the kind of things
that Jesus would allow"
if it hadn't happened then
it would have some other time
and that's the entire story of
my big career of crime


No comments:

Post a Comment