Saturday, January 23, 2010

Songwriting #1


So, let's talk about songwriting.

Okay. Right now I'm having a little difficulty.

How so?

I was going to send this one song to a songwriting competition I'd really like to get into, but then I read the rules and they say the song is only eligible if it was written in the past two years. And the song I was going to enter...well, too many people at that festival may know it and I'm sure I would be found out. Plus, I have a hard time cheating. It's that fuckin' karma thing, you know.

So write a new song.

Yeah. I'm gonna try. I just feel pressured. you know, self-pressure, And I have this preconceived idea about what they want, and I don't want that to affect me or the song I'm writing. I mean, what's really important is that it's a good song, not whether it gets in a contest or not,

So just write a song and give it your best.

Oh, I will. "Express; don't impress" is the best advice I've ever got for writing. That's what I need to keep in mind.

Good luck. Good skill.

Inspiration wouldn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment