Friday, February 25, 2011

Playing and listening and creating


I need to talk to you. I need to clarify something. It's important to me.

Of course. What's wrong, farmboy?

You know those lyrics that I show you?

Yes?

I don't know if I've ever told you, but those are first drafts I've been showing you. Or free writing. At any rate, it's not the finished product by any means. I'm kinda just...just writing. That's what I do.

That's it?

Yeah.

That's all, farmboy?

I just thought you should know that. I also wanted to show you that I do work at this songwriting stuff. I may not be doing enough in other areas, but I am working.

I see it, farmboy. I see you playing guitar, at various times during the day, everyday. I know you work on singing even when -- maybe especially when -- you're driving.

That's 'cause my CD player in my truck don't work. Fuckin' pisses me off, man, I tell you what.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to prove anything to me. You work. And, I promise you this, it's going to pay off.

Oh, I ain't frustrated or nothin', man. I didn't mean to give you that impression.

I know.

Let me clarify something, though. When I say "pay off," I don't necessarily mean financially. Even though that may happen, too. I mean that you'll have a good life...

I think a lot of that is happening now. The vast majority of friends I have come from music. Most of the good times I have in my life are because of music. And -- you know this -- a lot of times when I make it through the month financially, it's due to playing music, you know, performing. I mean, I guess, that a lot of the good stuff in my life is because of music. Playing and listening and creating.

I'm glad you recognize that, farmboy.

Yeah.

'Course I wouldn't turn my back on more money, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment