Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fuckin' final exam


Played at the coffeehouse tonight. My nerves weren't as bad as they usually are, and my instrumental practicing has really worked out. But I've been better. But I wasn't half-bad.


You're so hard on yourself, farmboy. Give yourself a break and let yourself enjoy the pure joy of creating music. Trust me on this one. You'll enjoy it, you really will.


I enjoy playing, but I know you're right, man. I'm always striving for some sort of musical perfection, or something, I'm not sure what. What pisses me off is that it makes music a kind of fuckin' final exam.


But tonight, man...I'm not anywhere near to where I want to be but I'm moving in the right direction. I'm talking confidence here.


Which is something that you have major issues with, if you don't mind me saying that.


You can fuckin' say whatever you want. It's true, confidence...Man, I need to get confident. I need to live my life with confidence. It's just too...pathetic, you know, to live like a fuckin' wuss all the time. I need to be brave. There's this great songwriter who lives in Utah named T.R. Ritchie and he's been quoted as saying "When in doubt, do the brave thing."


Wise words.


Yeah, they are. I need to put them on a fuckin' refrigerator magnet and read them every day.





No comments:

Post a Comment