Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The fuck-ups of being Mike Birbiglia


So I went to see this comedian Mike Birbiglia last Friday, did I tell you?

You said you were going; in fact, you were on your way out that night when we talked. How was he? I saw that he added a show.

He was fuckin' great. I was amazed at how comfortable he seemed, from the very beginning. He's quite a performer. The show was basically about the fuck-ups of being Mike Birbiglia and the humor in those fuck-ups. I don't know if fuck-up is really the word, though. It's more like the situations he found himself in.

I really like his performance style, the way he relates to his audience from the very first step he takes on stage. It makes me think about my performance style and what I'd like to achieve. I'd like to focus on that more. I want to be a really good performer. I don't mean that I want to perform like Birbiglia or Richard Pryor and any of the people I admire. I want to be myself onstage -- and be the best performer I can be with that.

You'll get there, farmboy. You're on your way.

I'm working at it, I tell you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment