Friday, May 13, 2011

This can always be rewritten


I can't get high enough
to get you off my mind
to forget the ways
that you left me behind
I never knew a person
could be so unkind
I can't get high enough
to get you off my mind

So I'm imagining this as a country song, you' know, not a fuckin' country parody. Which means some kind of rewriting 'cause this sounds pretty, uh, ordinary to me. I think I'd be embarrassed by this if I let it stand alone.

I think people can be too afraid and concerned about embarrassment sometimes. Remember, nobody has to ever see these lyrics. You should never be held back when you write.

Yeah, that writer part of you needs to be encouraged.

You got that right, farmboy. A writer needs to be as fearless as he can.

I know, man. I get to the point sometimes where I'm afraid to put fuckin' words on paper, or a computer screen. I always need to remember: This can always be rewritten.

Nobody ever has to see it...

Up to a certain point, it's yours alone and you can just see where it naturally goes. One of the many good things about being a songwriter.

And there are many good things about being a songwriter.

Oh, it's the best, man. I am seriously blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment