Thursday, October 30, 2014

downtown skies


I was running through the silver rain
to my deadbeat job on the eastbound train
in this race I must remain
till I finally get my turn
till then I dream of downtown skies
skyscrapers -- how high they rise!
I shout in joy
I slap high-fives
as I watch the city burn

I was running fourteen city blocks
past victims' outlines traced in chalk
on my way to punch the clock
until I can retire
till then I dream of downtown skies
silent screams  
stockholders cry
you'll see no sorrow in my eyes
when main street is on fire

          I have lived too long on the edge
          from now on I will plan my revenge

I was running
hiding
on the move
I was someone with something to prove
god only knows I've paid my dues
someday payday will arrive
till then I dream of downtown skies
bad excuses
alibis
I will live to see you die
if anything survives


No comments:

Post a Comment