Saturday, March 5, 2011

A life of solitary confinement


300 times? That's astounding! It seems like yesterday that we met.

Remember? I don't think you liked me at first.

I didn't know you...

And you sure didn't trust me either.

I didn't know you. I didn't trust anybody. I still don't. But I trust you.

It took a long time. Remember farmboy?

Yeah. But I don't like looking back too much. It gives me the fuckin' willies. You know what nostalgia is? It's memory with the pain removed. I don't remember where I heard or read that, but I'm not big on nostalgia.

So you're saying you don't want to take a stroll down memory lane.

No. But I would like to say that I'm glad you persisted when I was so resistant towards you. You've made my life a lot better. It's good to have a friend.

I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you.

Thank you too, farmboy. I've enjoyed it.

You're not saying goodbye, are you?

No. Not for a long long time.

Good. 'Cause I've gotten kinda used to having you around, man. It's good to have somebody who listens to you, someone who takes you seriously, you know? It feels good. It's really great to not have to feel so fuckin' lonely all the time, so fuckin' isolated. I feel sometimes like at some point I was sentenced to a life of solitary confinement.

And you don't feel that around me, farmboy?

No. I feel as if you really want to understand me.

I do.

And I feel like you don't mind listening to me.

I like listening to you, farmboy.

I'm so glad, man. Thanks.

I like listening to you, too. I'd like you to talk more...

I will. But my primary purpose is to listen to you.

I know. I'm still not used to it.

It's a process, farmboy.

You sure you ain't a fuckin' shrink?

I'm not. I'm your friend.

Don't make me start crying, man. I'm serious. I don't take friends like you for granted.

Neither do I.

Ah, man...

Talk with you tomorrow?

I'll be there.



No comments:

Post a Comment