Friday, December 27, 2013

Favorite recordings of 2013


So you wanna know my favorite recordings of 2013?

Yes. I've been waiting, farmboy.

Okay, here goes:

1. Vampire Weekend -- Modern Vampires in the City

This was my favorite album of the year. I have such good memories of driving around to this during the summer, when life was still hopeful and things hadn't gone bad yet.

2. The National -- Trouble Will Find Me

This is one of those albums that gets better the more you listen to it. I love the textures and the little spots of humor. I also can really relate to the album's title.

3. Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell -- Back When We Were Beautiful

I found the Harris/Crowell album disappointing, but this song is stunning and Emmylou's lead vocal perfectly captures this portrait of an elderly woman.

4. Ry Cooder -- live in Cleveland 1972

This isn't really an album. It's a live solo recording of a radio performance by Ry that I downloaded from the internet. The performance are relaxed and his introductions are fascinating. 

5. Daft Punk w/Pharell -- Get Lucky 

This song is really a throwback, I know, but listen to that guitar!

You know, there's just so much music to be heard, it's just fuckin' impossible to write a list I'm happy with. I mean, I've left off Ry Cooder's new live album. Robbie Fulk's new album, this live one by Alex Chilton where he just plays covers because the electricity went out. Good thing I'm not a critic. 

Anyway, man -- on to next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment