Saturday, September 21, 2019

people I used to know (rewrite 3)


I don't like photographs
from the past
I find them in drawers 
filled with odds and ends
there they are again
places I've been to
and strangers who once were friends
I don't know where they go
I miss them so
the people I used to know

I wonder where they've gone
folks move on
disappearing
but not from memory
I can't believe the way that time
has taken them away from me
so much I didn't know
where did they go
the people I used to know

          do you remember me?
          I was someone you cared about
          do you remember me
          I'm the man you chose to live without

I don't trust memories
they betray me
they want me to believe
what isn't true
they always do
they don't speak of the lies
that I heard from you
you chose to let me go
you told me so
and now that we're through
what can I do?
you turned into
one of the people who
I used to know
the people I used to know


No comments:

Post a Comment