Thursday, August 12, 2010

I should just write the song


I gotta write a song. I haven't written one for a little while...I mean, I've been working on one but I think it's close to finished. I need a new song. My self-worth depends on it.

Yeah? Well, have you written today?

Well, as a matter of fact Mr. Smarty Pants, I have. I got one verse to a new song and I sweated blood for it, I tell ya.

Do you like it?

I sorta like it. It's too early to tell.

Can you tell me what it's about?

It's about the property where my family reunion was held.

Oh, right. Hom-something. Like hominy or homogenized...

Jamul. That's in eastern San Diego county. It's Spanish; the J is pronounced like an H.

I'm thinking I should just write the song. If I like it enough, I'll send it to my cousin Patti. If I like it more, I'll perform it. But, you know, it's too soon for any of that. I need to write the song first. I need to stay on task. I need to focus.

Have you been playing?

I've played a couple of times today. Went over the newer stuff. It felt good, which is fuckin' great. It feels good to work sometimes, you know? And it hasn't felt all that good lately. I feel like I got off track due to going to California, but that excuse is getting old. It's already old.

Reading?

Oh, yeah! I started the latest novel by John Irving while I was in Cali and I really like it. It's called Last Night in Twisted River. I'm, like, 220 pages into it. His writing is so fuckin' comfortable to me.
I'm totally enjoying it, dude.

Music?

Bought the new Arcade Fire CD at Best Buy for $7.99. It's really great. I need to listen too it more, let the songs sink in my brain and heart. I need to internalize them.

What about you, man? What are you up to?

I've been resting this summer. I don't want to be busy. I'll leave the travelling and the performing and the writing to you, farmboy.

You're missing out, man. When stuff goes right, life can be okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment