Thursday, December 13, 2012

The best songs of 2012


Okay, man, this is the one day out of the whole year that I get too play rock critic or something.

Let me guess, farmboy. It must be time for the best albums of 2012.

Well...no. Now it's the best songs of 2012. I just don't hear enough albums any more. Which is kinda too fuckin' bad, you know. I like albums. But money is tight. Also, there's only five songs. I figure that making this list any longer is just, uh, padding the list. Or something like that. You know what I mean, man.

So let's get on with it. What's number one?

1) For My Upstairs Neighbor by El-P. This was the most moving song I heard all year. It's about what happens between the singer and his upstairs neighbor, a woman who's being horribly abused. It's really an amazing piece of work. It just fuckin' knocked me out.

2) Dokad by Muzyka Konca Lata. So there's this podcast called TBTL...

TBTL?

Too Beautiful to Live with Luke Burbank and Andrew Walsh. It's mostly these two guys talking, but they're really smart without being assholes about it. Anyway, they have this "Song of the Summer" contest, and this song by a group from Poland was number one. And I just really love this song. They sound like a fuckin' band, they sound like actual human beings.



3) The House That Heaven Built by Japandroids. "When they love you, and they will" the vocalist sings. I love how confident this song is. I like how much fun it is most of all.

4) Somebody That I Used to Know by Walk Off the Earth. It's funny. I barely noticed the big Gotye hit, but I loved the sound of this version, which is five people playing one guitar. And it's not the gimmick and it's not the novelty -- it's the fuckin' sound, man.

And your last one?

Well, it's not really a song, it's a sound. I love the horns on the new Mountain Goats album Transcendental Youth. The arrangements are so sensitive to what the songs are. They don't overpower; they sound as natural as can be.

So that's it, man.

Good job, farmboy.

Good tunes,, man, good sounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment