Thursday, July 3, 2014

It takes a whole lot of stuff to move your little toe


Man, this recording thing, it presses every button of insecurity I have in my body and mind. It's so…I'm so fuckin' vulnerable. It's fuckin' awful. Every fuckin' note and rhythm is second-guessed. It's all under a microscope. I question everything I do musically, which is not what I do when I write. 

What do you mean, farmboy?

I guess I mean that when I write, I act on instinct a lot. Sure, I push it, but just a little. I pay attention to my subconscious when I write, or, rather, I listen to my subconscious. I respect it. I don't know how it does what it does, but I take it seriously. There's this book by this smart dude, this scientist named David Eagleman, and he knows all about the stuff that goes on in your mind. You know, like how it takes a whole lot of stuff to move your little toe…

It's amazing when you think about it, farmboy. Our brains, our muscles, our bodies…there's a lot of little miracles that go into how we do what we do.

Fuckin' A, man. I'm so fuckin' amazed that I can play guitar, that my fingers know what strings to go to and what chords to make and how to play them. It's fuckin' astounding, man.

Now if we human beings would just use our powers for good, you know…

Some do. A lot of people do. You just don't see much of it because a lot of good is done privately, every day. It's not going to be written about.

Yeah, somebody should write about that kind of stuff.

Maybe that's your job, farmboy.

Yeah, yeah. One of many, man.


No comments:

Post a Comment