Monday, August 14, 2023

I remember (rewrite 1)


I am an old man
all I do is sit around
I watch the TV
I turn up the sound
my hearing is shot
my bones, they ache
and sometimes I feel like
it was all a mistake
but I'm still alive
a last dying ember
and I remember

I don't walk so good now
I must use a cane
I still get around
but it isn't the same
I used to explore
when I was a kid
Lord, when I think of
the things that I did
when I was still young
and time was tender
I remember

          I remember those days
          of being a child
          I was never afraid
          and my daydreams grew wild
          I remember those days
          a young man I was
          I knew what it felt like
          to be in love

now I'm here for
my remainder of days
alive on medications
in a chemical haze
I live in this home
and they treat me okay
but what I would give
for my younger days
now time's almost gone
and I must surrender
but I remember


No comments:

Post a Comment