Saturday, August 12, 2023

I remember


I am an old man
all I do is sit around
I watch the TV
I turn up the sound
my hearing is shot
my bones, they ache
and sometimes I think
it was all a mistake
but I'm still alive
a last dying ember
and I remember

I don't walk so good now
I must use a cane
I still get around
but it isn't the same
I used to explore
when I was a kid
Lord, when I think of
the things that I did
from the middle of June
to the start of September
I remember

          I remember those days
          of being a child
          I was never afraid
          and my daydreams grew wild
          I remember those days
          a young man I was
          I knew what it felt like
          to fall in love

I once had a wife
and kids numbered four
now my darling's in heaven
I hardly see the kids anymore
I sit in a home
and they treat me okay
but what I would give
for my younger days
back when time was tender
I remember

now I am here for
my remainder of days
I live on medications
in a chemical haze
but I am not sorry
for the life that I've led
I just wish it weren't ending
in a hospital bed
now it's my time to surrender
but I remember


No comments:

Post a Comment