Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I learned I have to write like me


Oh man, I'm so...

Tired?

Uh, yeah, that too, but that wasn't what I was gonna say.

So what were you going to say?

Guilty. I feel guilty.

(joking) What did you do now, farmboy?

Hey, don't make fun of me. I ain't done nothin' to deserve that.

Sorry. So...what did or didn't you do now, farmboy?

I came home from work and did all sorts of what I call responsibility-type stuff. and I didn't play guitar.

So? Take a day off. It won't kill you, and you're the only one you have to answer to.

I know. That's the fuckin' problem.

How about you play guitar then?

I don't have the energy to do my usual practice session. I'm going to lose all the skill I have. And if I don't practice, that means I obviously don't take the music or myself seriously. And that means...

Farmboy!

Uh, what?

Stop it! Just go get your guitar. Go get it and play one song. Go ahead. I'll wait.

(Farmboy gets his guitar and plays one song.)

Okay, I played a song.

How did it feel?

All right, I guess. I felt kinda removed from it, which can happen when I'm super tired. But It was okay. I picked a song that I'm just now figuring out how to play, so that was good, 'cause I'm interested in it.

What song did you play?

"Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

I love that song.

Oh, it's a great fuckin' song. Dig this:

If there's a smile on my face
It's only there trying to fool the public
But when it comes down to fooling you
My honey, that's quite a different subject
Now don't let my false expressions
Give you the wrong impression...

Just fuckin' brilliant, y'know. Bob Dylan once called Smokey Robinson his favorite poet.

I can see why.

And that's not even taking the music into consideration. That's just the lyrics! Man!

Would you like to write like Smokey Robinson. farmboy?

I'd like to write farmboy songs as good as Smokey Robinson writes his songs.

That's a great way to put it.

I saw John Prine years ago and I got all depressed 'cause he was just so fuckin' good.

He's great.

Fuckin' A, man, Prine's a fuckin' genius. As is Smokey. They're both themselves.

Original.

Completely. Anyway, that concert with Prine was where I learned I have to write like me.

And you have, farmboy.

That's what I strive for.

Listen, thank you for taking me seriously. That really helps.

My pleasure, farmboy. Will you be playing more guitar tonight?

Yeah, I'm sure I will.

Have fun with it.

But don't do it just because of guilt. One song at a time.

One song at a time. That's all you can do, y'know?


No comments:

Post a Comment