Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Really geographical kinds of dreams


I need your help. I need to talk to you. I'm sorry.

Don't be sorry. What's up, farmboy?

Today was the last day of school for the students,and I am so fuckin' tired that I can't seem to force myself to play guitar.

So? Go take a nap.

But I've got to play Thursday and Friday nights and I'm going to a songwriter group Sunday and I don't have a new song written and I should be on the computer sending out an email about the Thursday and Friday gigs and I, and I...

Stop it farmboy. You're tired. Go to bed. Nothing's going to be any good if you're that tired. You need rest. Come on, farmboy, it's been an emotional day, I'm sure, and you've been working very hard these last few weeks. That guitar will be there when you wake up. Your imagination will be sharper after you get some rest.

But...but...

(Sighs) You need to go to bed, farmboy. You can listen to some music or a podcast. But you really need to rest.

But I've got all this fuckin' stuff that I've got to do and time's spinning by.

Listen to me, farmboy. Let me advise you. You can do whatever you want, but you have to get some rest. Your emotions can get strained if you don't.

Yeah, but...

(sternly) Farmboy. Go to bed.

But...

Go to bed, farmboy. (quietly) I'll talk to you later after you get some rest. You need to take care of yourself so you can create music. So you need to get some rest, farmboy.

Um...okay.

Have good dreams, farmboy. What would you like to dream about.

Do I have a choice in what I dream?

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about what you want to dream of.

Uh...traveling somewhere for musical reasons with the dog we had when I was a teenager.

Would you be a teenager? You can if you want. It's your dream.

No, I would be me right now. But it would be that dog. Gordie, that was his name.

Would you travel in the USA?

No, it would be...I'm not sure where it would be. I've had these really geographical kinds of dreams like that, complete with maps and stuff. I love those dreams.

You've just planted a seed, farmboy. You may not dream that tonight, but you'll probably dream it at some point. There will always be that chance, that you'll dream about traveling with your dog for musical reasons.

I'm going to go to bed now.

Good boy. Sweet dreams.

'Good boy?' I'm a grown man. I'm not young any more.

As far as I'm concerned, farmboy, you will always be young. And you are a good boy, as far as I'm concerned.

Okay. Good night, man.

'Night, farmboy.



No comments:

Post a Comment