Monday, November 29, 2010

Is it Irish?


I'm tired.

So go to bed, farmboy.

It's too early. It's, like, seven o'clock. Hey, why is it "o'clock?" Is it Irish?

Good question.

I'm full of good questions. Like, why is it cold on the tops of gigantic mountains? I mean, they're closer to the sun than deserts, you know? What gives? Who's in charge of this stuff?

You got me, farmboy.

Yeah, well, see? It's always been a fuckin' problem, you know, this questioning stuff. It's what I do. Hangs me up, you know?

But you've always been a curious guy.

I'm real curious. I want to know about animals, what they think in their way of thinking, We human beings think we're so smart, that we're so superior to everything else. I want to know: Does every creature think they are the chosen ones?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Yeah, but we humans, we're so fuckin'...cocky about it all. We're so fuckin' intelligent. What about spiders? They make these webs that are like that fuckin' building in, where is it...Dubai? You know, the one with, like, 160 stories or something? Look, a spider makes that kind of thing, like, every day, you know?

This is all great stuff for discussion...

Or like Greenland and Iceland. Greenland has a lot more ice than Iceland, and I betcha Iceland has a lot more green than...

Greenland?

Yeah. I need to find out all this stuff. I'm always on Wikipedia because of it.

You know what I really like? Atlases. They're the best. I love the way maps look, with all those fjords and inlets and straits and stuff. I'm real good with geography. I ace in that category on Jeopardy!

I bet you do, farmboy.

Damn fuckin' right I do.

For somebody who's so tired, you sure have a lot of questions.

Yeah. Maybe I should go to bed.

No, that's not what I meant. It's good to ask questions.

Good thing. 'Cause otherwise I'd be fucked.

Trust me, questioning is a positive trait.

Are you sure of that? What if it isn't? What if curiosity really did kill the cat, huh? Did you ever think of that?

Of course it can be overdone. Good night, farmboy.

Hey, but wait, I got more stuff to ask you...



No comments:

Post a Comment