Wednesday, November 24, 2010

To wear a cowboy hat


Whatcha up to, farmboy?

That's pretty informal of you, man.

What's informal?

"Whatcha."

It's colloquial.

Whatever.

You went to play tonight. Was it fun?

It was good. I played an in-the-round put together by an old friend of mine from the Kerrville Folk Festival. Didn't sell anything, but I got to have a cheeseburger and coffee on the house. I was the only performer who wasn't wearing a hat, so the bartender came over and put his cowboy hat on me. Which I loved, because, you know, I don't let myself do things like wear cowboy hats. And it felt good to wear a cowboy hat. It's really fun, like being a kid, 'cept it was a whole different kind of kid than what I was.

But let's not get into that. So, yeah, I had fun.

What did you do?

I just hung around, played on the computer.

Was it fun?

Yes, actually, it was.

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving. Going to your brother's?

Yeah. I'm making pumpkin pudding with my niece. I'm also making a cranberry-walnut desert. I like Thanksgiving. We should have a day for being thankful. Plus we haven't spoiled it with presents and cards and all that fuckin' commercial shit, you know? Plus it's good food. I like turkey and stuffing and gravy and stuff like that.

Green bean casserole?

No, never been too much for green bean casserole. You?

It's all right, I guess. Not one of my favorites.

I'll check in with you tomorrow, man. Happy Thanksgiving!

Same to you, farmboy.

See ya.



No comments:

Post a Comment