Saturday, December 11, 2010

Perks of being obsessed


I want to write a song. I have a song I rote a week ago...I mean, basically, lyrics...

Did you show me that one? Was that the lullaby?

Yeah. You remembered!

Why does that surprise you, farmboy?

'Cause, basically, I expect to go through my whole life invisible and unnoticed.

That's not true. You've won awards, you've made albums, you've performed -- what? Hundreds of times? Over a thousand?

I have no idea.

How many songs have you written, farmboy?

I don't fuckin' know. (irritated) C'mon, give me a fuckin' break!

Have you finished the Malcolm Gladwell book yet?

I'm close. I've got, like, forty or so pages to go.

Sound familiar? You, my talented friend, are an outlier.

(grudgingly) Yeah, I guess I am. That's one of the perks of being obsessed all your life.

And how does that make you feel?

It actually gave me some confidence, you know, a little hope. Like I haven't wasted my life, maybe.

You could use a little confidence, farmboy.

I could use a little hope, too. I ain't complaining about this Outliers thing. I'll take all the fuckin' encouragement I can get, I tell you what.

I'm glad you read the book, farmboy. Did you like it?

Yeah, this Gladwell dude is a good writer. He's, like, effortless to read. Thanks for recommending it, man.

You're welcome, farmboy.

Yeah, thanks. I'm glad you assigned it.

Homework is good to have sometimes.

Yeah, but don't press your fuckin' luck, pal.



No comments:

Post a Comment