Thursday, April 28, 2016

Jesus on the cross


on the wall
I see Jesus on the cross
as I lay on this hospital bed
and he looks like an eagle
and he looks like an eagle
preparing to fly
if I had wings
I'd learn to glide across
that great big open sky ahead
and I'd never look down
I would never look down
or question why
I would trust that where I'm going
is where I was meant to be
I would see those open spaces
waiting before me
and I wouldn't be scared
and I wouldn't be scared
I would be free

people have said
I've been a failure all my life
I'm nothing but a waste of time
that I just don't matter
that I just don't matter
and I believed them
I hang my head
I close my broken eyes
and plead guilty to the crime
say I am not worthy
I am not worthy
over and over again
I've told myself to forget them
it's only lies they're telling me
but they're so deeply planted
and they won't let me be
if I could stand up before them
I could learn to ignore them
I would be free


No comments:

Post a Comment